Thursday, April 3, 2008

First week back....

Well, I am finishing up my first week back in spring quarter. 6 more quarters to go. It should be a good quarter. I have a few classes that I am pretty excited about. And then there are those few that I am just waiting to get through.

I have so many ideas for this blog that I am having a hard time getting started! I think what I am going to do, is focus on specific herbs and points or channels for each post and then "shake things up" a bit with various bits of theory or questions that come up. I am hopeful to get feedback and insights from other students and practitioners, it would be fun to be able to talk about all of this along the way.

Herb of the Day: San Qi
AKA: Tian Qi, Pseudoginsing Root (Latin: Notoginseng Radix)
Channels Entered: Liver, Stomach, Large Intestines
Nature/Flavors: Warm, Slightly Bitter and Sweet
Actions:

  • This herb is used to stop bleeding. It does this without causing blood stasis, which is why it is so useful.
  • It can transform blood stasis, reduces swelling and stops pain.
  • It is one of the herbs in the "secret formula" for yunan biyao.
  • It invigorates the blood.
Indications:
  • Useful for internal and external bleeding including vomiting blood, nosebleeding and blood in the urine or stool.
  • It is the herb of choice for traumatic injuries, swelling and pain from falls, sprains, fractures and concussions
  • Also used for chest and abdominal pain and joint pain caused by blood stasis, sores and abscesses.

Cautions/Contraindications: Use with caution during pregnancy

Toxicity: There have been reports of toxicity even within the low dose range (1.5-3g) and the signs of toxicity include: nausea, repeated vomiting, hemorrhagic tendencies, nosebleeds, gum bleeding, heavy vaginal bleeding. Some other signs are GI related and are: pain with swallowing, poststernal pain and heartburn as well as swelling and erosion of the esophagus, nausea and diarrhea. In high doses (5g or more) this herb has caused second degree AV heart block.

But never fear! This is a great herb!! Just be careful and conscientious when prescribing it!! Here is some extra fun stuff about this herb that will help keep it in your mind.

  • It has long been recognized as one of China's best tonic herbs for building the blood, improving the circulation and preventing anxiety.
  • The root comes in the raw form (sliced) or cooked (steam-processed) each with different attributes
  • Research findings indicate that raw Tian Qi positively affects the heart and tributaries. Some research in China shows that Tian Qi increases blood flow in the coronary artery, and increases the consumption of oxygen in the middle muscular layer of the heart. This results in the lowering of blood pressure and improving regularity of the heart beat.
  • Tian Qi can relieve chest pain and/or the feeling of oppression in the chest due to angina pectoris induced by coronary insufficiency.
  • Tian Qi has been found to significantly reduce the cholesterol levels in the blood and arteries.
  • Steamed Tienchi is rich in iron, calcium, proteins, saponins and flavinoids. It becomes a very efficient blood tonic, strengthening the body and promoting growth.

Here is a picture: umm, okay, no picture, my technical skills are lacking. Hopefully I will figure out how to upload a photo!

No comments: